Re: FC3: Mesa and 'nvidia' driver

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 10:00:15PM -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> Alexander Volovics wrote:

I am back after having been "off the air" for 4 days due to my ISP's
yearly major mishap and have just finished scanning the more than 2000
accumulated emails. Whew!

> The technical answer here is that the nVidia GL libraries are put in
> /usr/lib, and the Mesa-libGL library is put in /usr/X11R6/lib (like Neal
> eluded to, though its *not* supposed to be a matter or luck!).  The
> trick is to ensure that your ld.so.conf file looks in /usr/lib before it
> looks in /usr/X11R6/lib.  You can tell by looking at the ldd output of
> some GL X11 program (like glxgears).  If it links to the nVidia library
> in /usr/lib, you've done it right.  If not, you may need to re-order the
> libraries in your /etc/ld.so.conf file.
> If the libary order is correct, then all that *should* be needed is to
> run ldconfig after each installation of the nVidia modules.
......................cut to keep it short...........................
> I know that on my measley MX-400 video card, I see about 46-48 fps when
> my libraries are mis-configured, and about 92-96 fps when I "clean
> things up".  That's nowheres near the 300-400 fps I think I should be
> getting with this card at 4x AGP?

You describe the situation well. I installed and tried it out with and
without the xorg mesa-libgl library. Both work but eventually I removed
the nvidia driver again for reasons given below.

> >(But now I have 'ugly' font rendering with the nv driver on an
> > LCD DVI flatpanel and I would like to see if the nvidia driver does
> > any better).

> Is the font rendering the driver's fault, or the font server's
> configuration's fault?  My font rendering didn't change when I switched
> from the "nv" driver to the "nvidia" driver.

My font rendering didn't improve noticeably either, with or without
additional nvidia parameters. So I removed the nvidia driver because
I don't need 3d extensions and don't like reinstalling the nvidia
driver with each kernel update.
I managed to improve my 'ugly' font rendering by choosing the 'best'
of the available rendering options and fiddling with the LCD panel
settings. I can live with the results.

Alexander