Re: OT: fighting rbl's

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 14:51, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Chris Hewitt wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 04:18, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> > I do not see any problem in everyone using their ISP's mail server for
> > outgoing email. It is easy to configure and provides some anti-spam
> > measures for the ISP and for any unfortunate end-user mis-configuring a
> > smtp server for open-relay.
> >
> > Thomas, why would you not want to use your ISP's outgoing mail server?
>
> I only use my ISP's mail server for sites that I cannot reach directly. One of
> the disadvantages of using the ISP's server is a loss of control; once the
> mail is delivered to the ISP you have no control over redelivery attempts (if
> the remote MXes are down), can't see if the mail has actually been delivered
> to the remote site's mail server etc. Knowing such things can be very useful
> when diagnosing mail problems.
>
> Paul.

Paul,

True. I probably just do not have enough mail delivery problems to need
anything else. I get a bounce message upon non-delivery and use that.
The fact that I get very few means that as an ordinary ISP account user
I have not found I need to do anything different.

Is Thomas's situation different I wonder?

Regards

Chris