Squid and Load Balance

Does anyone on this list has any idea on implementing Squid and setting
up Load Balance on a FC2 server?

I'm planning on implementing one for a couple of thousand of users. I've
asked on the squid-list, but no responses thus far.

Can Hearbeat work for remote squids? I'm researching for fail-over and
high availablity for squid running in remote locations.

eg:

---[center1]--interstate--[center2]---

center1 and center2 will have independent squid installations. (but each
will use the other as sibling)

most likely using transparent proxy/wccp/ bridging (which one is better)
and I would like users connected to center1's squid be fail-overed to
center2's squid in case center1 goes down. (otherwise, being a
tranparent proxy, if center1(or 2)'s squid goes down, (for some reason)
I-net access for that center will fail.

AFAIK, Hearbeat uses serial cables for monitoring, (I may be wrong, the
last time I read the documentation).

I would appreciate any help in this.