Re: Fedora Extras is extra

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Axel Thimm wrote:

> Or let me rephrase the problem, why do some people insist that
> replacing packages is bad? The replacements are obviously done for
> some reason, and not for reducing stability and security.

It's not necessarily bad, but I can understand that people wish to avoid
them. It's about offering choice the same way as you'd say to exclude some
package from some repository for whatever reason is acceptable for
yourself.

> To answer the question myself, the reasons there is a propaganda
> against repos offering vendor replacements can be found in the
> intentions of the people loudly proclaiming it's so dangerous to do
> so. It is just an arbitrary distinction mark from the repo they
> favour ...

Though it shouldn't hold us back to offer that choice anyway, if it can be
done by one of the tools.

PS In case you have a RHEL subscription, the need for such a feature is
even higher.

--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --