Re: traceroute error !<10>

Am So, den 28.11.2004 schrieb Michael um 5:12:

Please don't "hijack" a foreign thread by replying to an existing list
mail while you want to start a new topic. Now your mail appears in
threaded view as part of the discussion "special install situation".

> I updated on machine yesterday, and was doing another today, but
> rather than redownloading the updates again, I was just going to
> transfer over the contents of the /var/cache/apt/archives directory. I
> archived the contents into a tar.gz file, and ftped to the machine.
> Logged in, but a directory comes back with no route to host. Here is
> the strange part. Both machines are plugged into the same hub,
> traceroute shows a response in about 0.200ms, but then has the
> !<10> after it. What is also weird, is both machines have no problem
> ftping to an old windows 98 machine, so I ended up ftping the file to
> the windows 98 machine on another subnet, and then downloading
> it to the other machine.

>   Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor

See following older thread about exact the same:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=107334879017683&w=2

Especially notice the reply by Bevan Bennett who made the best attempts
to find the reason for that traceroute behaviour.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 05:28:50 up 8 days, 16 users, load average: 0.75, 0.94, 1.11