Re: command line applications don't handle accented characters well

Paul Tomblin wrote:

Before "upgrading" to Fedora Core 3 from RedHat 9,
termcap/terminfo/ncurses applications handled accented characters
well.  But now, they're a mish-mash.

Paul, I have seen a raft of such problems, even without using ssh. This afternoon, K3b refused to create a temp file for writing to a CD because the title had an accent. This week, I copied a lot of MP3s from my old OS/2 drive via CDs, and I have had a huge amount of work cleaning up the accents in the filenames. In the terminal directory lists, such characters showed up as small boxes; when copying on the command line, they displayed as \###. In Nautilus, they are question marks with "(Invalid Unicode character)" appended to the filename. I have been trying to write some simple shell scripts to clean up filenames with accents, but I am hampered and frustrated by the inconsistency in the way (and/or) my ignorance of how they are handled by the system.

I have only been using Fedora a couple of months, and hence surprised to read that accented characters were handled better in an early incarnation.