Re: updating a internet-less pc

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Divided By 0 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a simple question. I've set up fedora core 3 and downloaded all
> updates through apt-get. Now, I want to convert my girlfriend to linux
> (a noble cause) but unfortunately she doesn't have access to the
> internet. Is there any way to burn all the apt-get updates into a cdrom
> and then use that to update her pc?
> I'm pretty certain the updates reside somewhere in my pc, I just don't
> know where.
> After copying them to her pc, should I just rpm -i them or use apt-get
> in some way?

You could try a 'rpm -Fvh *.rpm' - and see if it works.

(to have better depencency check - you'd want to use apt/yum). I'll
explain this with 'yum'. Apt migh have a similar way of doing it.

1.the rpms are in /var/cache/yum/*/packages - copy them over to the
other machine (via cd-rw) - say into /root/packages

2. create a repository for these packages
cd /root/packages
createrepo .

3. add this repository to yum repository list
edit /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo with the following lines:

[local-updates]
name=Local RPMs
baseurl=file:///root/packages
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

4. Since you don't have network - disable the repositories over the
netwok (i.e /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo & fedora-updates.repo )

5. <this is not required - but to be safe> You might also crate
a local repo for ALL the rpms from the distribuiton as well (by
copying all rpms from the release-cds.

6. now do 'yum update'.

Satish