Re: vmware and kernel build

Magnus Morén wrote:
I am trying to get vmware running with a custom build kernel (source
from the FC3 kernel SRPM). I have successfully build the kernel and the
system is running fine.

- FC3 + all updates (kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3)
- VMwareWorkstation-4.5.2-8848

When I run vmware it tells me (correctly) that I need to run vmware-
config.pl. When I do I get the output included below.

The script expects to find a include directory with at least the
following sub directorys "linux", "asm", "net".

These are found in the binary kernel-rpm in the folder
/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.681_FC3/build/include/ (plus many more files and
directorys).

But when I compile and install my own kernel I only get these sub
directorys in /lib/modules/2.6.9-prepMM/build/include, "asm", "asm-
i386", "config" and "linux".

Why do I not see the same files and directorys? Have I missed anything?
Do I look in the wrong place?

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /lib/modules/2.6.9-
prepMM/build/include

The path "/lib/modules/2.6.9-prepMM/build/include" is an existing
directory, but it does not contain at least one of these directories
"linux", "asm", "net" as expected.

There is a note in the FC3 release notes that specifically addresses VMware. I followed the recommended steps and had no trouble getting VMware up and running smoothly.

Enjoy,

-pmr