Re: Upgrade using up2date

Am So, den 21.11.2004 schrieb Alan Gutierrez um 4:57:

>     I've got a Sony VAIO Z505 running RedHat 8.0. I upgraded it once
>     before by changing the redhat-release rpm. Is that still
>     possible? Could I upgrade this computer over the network without
>     using a CD-ROM?
>
>     I followed these instructions:
>
>             http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2848
>
>     (I'm asking because my CD-ROM for this laptop has gone missing.)

> Alan Gutierrez - alan@xxxxxxxxx - http://engrm.com/

It is not possible in the way you know (which is described on the
O'Reilly page). The old up2date for RH 7.x and 8.0 did use RHN and it's
channels. Some very helpful notes for upgrades to Fedora Core releases
are available on

http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html

If you don't have a CD-ROM but an internet connection independent from
the Laptop you want to upgrade, then I would suggest an Anaconda upgrade
from FTP/HTTP. You will simply have to get the boot.iso image file, to
loop mount and then copy the vmlinuz (kernel) and the initrd.img
(initial ramdisk image) to a place where your bootloader (lilo or grub)
can access it. The corresponding grub.conf entry can look like following
then:

title Fedora Core 3 install boot
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-fc3 ramdisk_size=9216 askmethod
        initrd /initrd-fc3.img

This is possible too with lilo, just with different syntax. If you
choose that entry from bootloader menu you will start an Anaconda
install which will fetch the packages from net.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 06:16:48 up 1 day, 1:04, load average: 0.14, 0.43, 0.47