Re: Help installing Fedora3 on dell lap top please

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 18:02, bryan2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>  Hello,
> I am trying to install fedora 3 on an old Dell Inspiron 5000. The
> graphic install seems to work without any problems untill it gets to
> the point of rebooting the system. After the reboot, when system
> should be showing a login screen (or going on to more graphic install)
> the screen goes completely blank. The hard drive appears to be active
> but the screen stays blank. I tried different key command to switch to
> a text mode but nothing seems to work.
> Does anyone know what I need to do to get this install to work? Any
> Help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks
> Bryan

Yeah I had this problem before.   At boot click "e" I believe to edit
the kernel entry in grub.  Then e again after highlighting the kernel
line to add a 3 to the end of it.  so its like

 kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.3_FC2 ro root=LABEL=/ 3

Then enter then B to boot.  Read the text on the Grub Screen to verify I
got these commands right.  I boot so infrequently that I forget them.

Then you will boot into runlevel 3 and get a text login prompt.  Then
set the drivers in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to vesa.

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "i810"                 <-- Change this to vesa
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "Intel 845"
EndSection

Then you should be able to boot into GUI without 3D acceleration and the
fun stuff.  But you can have a gui and be able to get your drivers and
install them manually.

Mike Ramirez <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>