Re: hack attempt on my server...What do you do about this?

John Dangler wrote:

Clifford~
Thanks for the reply.
rpm-qa|grep logwatch reveals:
logwatch-5.1.3

I haven't started looking at the 'root' mail yet, since I haven't figured a
way to get the email client to read the root from the local system.
I did find the man page on logwatch and am reading up on it.

Thanks for the tip!

If you are doing any kind of sys admin work make sure you read your root mail on a daily basis. I recommend mutt to do this. alternatively logwatch and programs like those have a configuration setting to mail the logs into any arbitrary email id. set those and read your mail on a regular basis
regards
Rahul Sundaram