Problems with SSL accessw through a web browser

I am getting a little frustrated by the following. I am trying to
access imaps service through a web browser. I have constructed a
imap.pem certificate file which works well when I do accesses to the
server from mutt.
However, when I try access to imaps through a web server using a
https:// web address the results are baffling.
First the certificate the web browser returns from the server is not
the imap certificate. That is not that surprising. The certificate
returned is generic without any of the usual field filled with
meaningful content. The statement is given that this certificate
(represented by a file I cannot find)  belongs to
localhost@localdomain rather than out server (which is true).
Then I  get the strange error statement that:
new.host.name cannot be found.
At this point we can go no further.

Can someone hint how one creates this needed certificate and where the
file resides and under what name. I saw there was a Makefile that is
supposed to do this but all I managed to do using that Makefile is
secure the httpd server so that it could not be restarted without
entering a passphrase.

Anyone have information on this they are willing to share?

"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient.
It's called 'rain'."
-- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science