[FC3] What is if-up'ing my wireless NIC?

I have a laptop with a built-in Cisco MPI350 (MiniPCI Aironet 350) wire-
less adapter (eth1).  Here is ifcfg-eth1:

  # Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
  # for the documentation of these parameters.
  IPV6INIT=no
  ONBOOT=no
  USERCTL=yes
  PEERDNS=yes
  GATEWAY=
  TYPE=Wireless
  DEVICE=eth1
  HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
  BOOTPROTO=dhcp
  NETMASK=
  DHCP_HOSTNAME=
  IPADDR=
  DOMAIN=
  ESSID=XXXXXXXX
  CHANNEL=1
  MODE=Managed
  RATE=auto
  IWCONFIG=commit

Note the "ONBOOT=no".  Despite this, the interface is activated every
time I boot Fedora Core 3.  (This didn't happen with FC2.)

The following services are turned on:  cpuspeed, anacron, syslog,
cups-config-daemon, readahead, ssd, microcode_ctl, atd, xinetd,
haldaemon, readahead_early, cups, apmd, crond, sysstat, pcmcia,
messagebus, network, iptables, xfs, kudzu, smartd, nscd.  AFAIK, none of
these daemons should be bringing up the interface.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher@xxxxxxxxxxx