Re: scripts won't execute

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:50:17 -0800, Andrew B. Young
<andrew_b_young@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm stumped. I have two separate script files that are *identical*,
but one executes as expected, the other does nothing. The only
difference between the two is how they were created. The one that
does execute was created in /root and then moved to /var/www/cgi-bin.
The one that does not execute was created directly in
/var/www/cgi-bin. Why should this cause a difference? Here are some
details.

if you have FC3 this is the result of selinux. the one created in the cgi-bin directory has been created with the right security context. the one which has been created outside the domain of apache has the wrong security context. to confim this type ls -Z on that directory and see the difference in the context. to fix this run restorecon -v /path/to/file.

You can take a look the faq here

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc3/

Thanks Rahul.  SELinux is the cause.
Others, Thanks for the other suggestions, e.g. md5sum & xxd

I tried restorecon -v /path/to/file, but that didn't solve the problem. It did
lead to identical listings from 'ls -Z'--identical to htsearch, which does run.

For now I disabled SELinux; its more than I wish to learn about now.

-andyy