Re: Open Office Quirk?

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 14:59 +0000, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 08:59 -0500, cmilhaus wrote:
> > I am running FC-3 on a P3-450, with 524 megs of Ram. It was a clean
> > install, that reformatted the HD.
> > There appears to be a running "quirk" regarding spell check and Open
> > Office Writer. Whenever I am in a document, the first time I go to
> > correct the spelling; it takes forever for spell check to kick in. By
> > forever, I mean 30 to 45 seconds. Once it cranks up, it's fine for the
> > rest of the document or the rest of the session.
> > I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience, and if there
> > are any ways to work around it. (This has been an issue since FC-2)(at
> > least for me)
> > If anyone can offer any pointers, this relative Linux newbie would
> > greatly appreciate it.
> I believe this delay is due to the spell checker dictionary being loaded
> in to memory, some one mentioned that it was fixed in FC3, but I have
> not tested it yet.
>

> --

Yeah this happens to me every time I install or upgrade OOo.  To fix it
edit the /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/share/dict/ooo/dictionary.lst file and comment
out (with a #) all the languages that you'll never use.  The only lines
that I have uncommented in my dictionary.lst are

DICT en US en_US
HYPH en US en_US
THES en US th_en_US

I gleaned this little tidbit from the OpenOffice forum.
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/

--
Tim Becker
Principal Consultant