Re: OT: Launch.com music videos under Mozilla and Linux

On 11/15/2004 04:09:44 AM, Gerald Thompson wrote:
Hi guys,

I kind of like watching music videos on the web and was thinking that we seriously need to start putting some market pressure on Yahoo to make Launch.com work on Mozilla and Firefox under Windows, and even pressure them to switch to real media format so that the videos will work on Linux. (They will never switch to an open source media format so forget that right now, Real Player 10 works fine on Linux so if they switch to Real Media they will be able to hit the Windows audience, Mac audience, and Linux audience all at the same time.)

There are several mac users, and several linux users, who do not want Real on their machines. Myself included. I don't even have it on my Windows machine, where it arguably is a good player.

Don't dismiss open source as possibly providing a viable option.

If you look at gstreamer.freedesktop.org - there's some pretty exciting stuff going on right now with respect to open source media technology.

Not just players, but streaming server technology.