USB Problems After Successful Initial Setup

Hi All:
I recently installed FC3 on a desktop with a USB keyboard, mouse, and drive attached. The USB drive is formated with the vfat file system and FC3 is installed on one of two internal IDE drives (WinXP Pro on the other). Upon initial installation with "linux expert" at the install CD boot prompt, all of these USB devices are recognized and seem to be setup properly. At the first boot, I see an icon on the desktop for the USB drive and it's mounted as /media/usbdrive (or something close to that). On subsequent boots of the machine, when I go into FC3 it seems that the keyboard, mouse and USB drive are no longer recognized. It brings up kudzu during the boot process as if new hardware has been added. It seems like everything is properly setup at install and remains so on the first boot, but the settings are somehow lost after that. I imagine there is some configuration file that can be altered so that the USB devices are persistently setup properly, but I don't know what file that would be or how to change the configuration.

Thanks for you time and advice,

Chuck