Re: /media versus /mnt

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jelena i Zoran" <macak.macak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 3:14 PM
Subject: /media versus /mnt

Is there a technical reason for introducing the /media directory
for mounting various devices instead of continuing with the old
convention of using the /mnt directory?

Not technical really, but it is an attempt to be standards compliant. The "board" that oversees these things declared long ago that /media would be the standard (I don't have any idea though how many distros use it though).

Personally, I resisted the change, but I think I'll get over it.

I do not see a justifiable reason and that is why I am posting this question.
My opinion is that unnecessary deviations from the old convention
only adds to the confusion.

OTOH it will be nice if you ever change distros that these files will be in the same place, eh?

Thanks,
ZS

Think nothing of it ;-)

Scott