Core 3 issues

I just did a clean install of Fedora Core 3.
Upon reboot after all the SELinux: initialized messages
going in to the Welcome to Fedora Core
Starting udev = ok
initializing hardware... storage network

and that is as far as it goes :|

I was running Core 2 on this system fine (tried to do an update first
and it tanked as well)

any ideas as to why it is hanging here, no matter what I do with
bootloader options installs partitioning schemes, nothing has gotten
me anywhere, I have done 10 installs all told I think today trying to
get this to work.

Thanks in Advance

John

this is an i386 based system BTW