Re: Installing Fedora without a CDROM

Ted Q wrote:

Hi,
I am a hopeful-Windows-convert-to-Fedora, and want to install Fedora onto my laptop. My CDROM drive is broken, but want to install it anyways, without having to pay the incredible $$$ required for getting a replacement drive ($400?!). Can anyone tell me how to create a bootable floppy disk (1.44"?), from which i can run the installer and install the entire distro over the internet? Or at least off of a usb or external cd drive? Is this even possible? (installation over the internet is most ideal for me). Any help would be appreciated...thanks!
Ted

Ted,

If you can get the boot.iso image onto a partition on the hard drive, and can boot from a floppy, you can use the Generic Linux Boot Floppy to run the Fedora installer. The latest version should let you select a network installation method:

ftp://ftp.deesconsulting.com/glbf
http://www.deesconsulting.com/glbf

Read the HOWTO/README for an overview.

-Ben Smith Dees Consulting www.deesconsulting.com