Re: Some thoughts about yum and repositories

Beartooth said:
[snip]
> Even such as we do notice that running yum is easier than up2date (or,
> afaict, apt). But without being able to read (let alone write) code, we can
> at least use a yum.conf if we can copy or download it.

a) The yum.conf contains no "code", and doesn't require the ability to
write "code" to edit it.  If you have the ability to type
http://fedora.redhat.com to get Fedora, you have the ability to put a URL
in the yum.conf.

b) Downloading and using a random yum.conf is just as bad as running any
random e-mail attachment on Windows.

>> The beauty of yum is that it uses standard protocols so you can easily
>> look at the repos with your web browser and test to your hearts content
>> with something like wget.
>
> What are repos,

repositories of packages.

> and why do you look at them?

To verify that you have the correct location in your yum.conf.  If the URL
doesn't work in your browser, it isn't going to work with yum.

> What would you test??

Speed of the repo, that it is reachable, etc.

> I did use wget once -- with someone walking me through, step by step.

wget it a very useful tool, and easy to use.  Start with "man wget".

--
William Hooper