Re: How to set up network interface from scratch - newbie

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 21:03, Hartono Nugroho wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I just install USB wireless device using ndiswrapper and the interface
> is wlan0.  I run iwconfig setup (ISSD, key, etc) and wlan0 already
> recognize my router MAC address.  I try to set up using network config
> but my device does not show up in the choices.
>

> I have a wireless router that also act as DHCP server.  I have another
> 2 PCs running win and linux that is wired to this router.  On this
> particular PC, I dual boot win and Fedora2.  The win partition already
> connect to the internet using this USB device.  So I want to set up
> the Linux partition to use DHCP as well in waln0 interface in this
> machine.
>

> Up to this point I, if I do ifconfig it is only showing lo.  Could ppl
> please tell me how to setup linux so that it will use wlan0 as my
> network interface and receive DHCP info from my router?
>

> TIA for your info.

I did something similar this morning to a Dell laptop.  Set up
ndiswrapper per the INSTALL and readme files in the tarball.

Make sure ndiswrapper -l indicates that the device is installed
correctly.  dmesg will indicate whether ndiswrapper found the hardware.
If this all goes well, then add:

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

to modprobe.conf.

In the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory create a file called
ifcfg-wlan0 with something like the following:

# Broadcom Corporation|Wireless thru ndiswrapper
DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ESSID=your-ESSID
KEY=your-WEP-Key
RATE=auto
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Wireless

Substitute in your ESSID and WEP key.  After that "service network
restart" (or reboot) should restart the network interfaces.  You will
probably need to "modprobe ndiswrapper" if you do not reboot.

In my setup I wanted the I/F to start on boot, you may say "no" if you
don't.  Also the card in my laptop is a mini-PCI and is always
installed, relieving me from the hotplug issues.  You did not say
whether you were leaving the device constantly plugged in.  If not, you
might have to play with the hotplug configuration to get ndiswrapper
running at the correct place in the system startup.

BTW:  ifconfig -a will show all of the network interfaces the box thinks
are available, and iwconfig will show the wireless interfaces it finds.

Bob...