Re: Some thoughts about yum and repositories

D. D. Brierton wrote:
On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 21:20, Robin Laing wrote:

Another option would be an easier frontend that would allow easy editting of yum.conf file.

A generic list of locations that could be checked or unchecked to select the sites, mirrors and backups. The admin could then select with repo's would be used. Warnings about possible conflicts and signitures would then be dealt with at one time.

Why should a new user with no knownledge have to struggle to find software and sites. Manually configure a file and then hope it works when a graphical frontend could do all that. How hard would it be for redhat or fedora.us to have a central file of all repositories and mirrors generated into a single array that can be used in a frontend?

Necessary locations could be in a green or must have repo's list. Yellow for repo's that are supportive of the main distro's and red for lists that may not work with or between distro's.

These points are in line with what you are asking for.

Along with a graphical package manager.

In other words, "Why can't we just use Red Carpet?"! I agree with pretty
much everything you said, and annoyingly a GPL solution already exists
but we aren't going to be using it. The fact that Red Carpet's future
looks to be one in which it is no longer a standalone product is of
course a pertinent issue, but the lack of interest in using it even
before then strikes me as having more to do with "Not Invented Here"
syndrome then anything else.

Best, Darren

We used to have an rpm package manager that wasn't to bad.

I don't know Red Carpet, but will it work as a command line tool? This is one issue that must be addressed with any update package.

I find yum works quite well. I have used yumi and gyum as graphical front ends with good success. Improve the frontend and the wheel may have been re-invented. :)

--
Robin Laing