Re: Some thoughts about yum and repositories

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:

D. D. Brierton wrote:

    1. Yum repositories should have a mirrors.xml file. All the user
       need do is sign up to the main repository itself, the
       mirrors.xml file is downloaded, and yum tries to use the mirror
       that is closest or fastest (I'm not sure *how* it should do
       that, but lets think of this as an ideal scenario proposal).

agreed

Using XML allows you to carry a fair amount of misc data. If the repository list had location data attached, the local timezone on the machine could get you to the right part of the planet. East coast USA and west coast USA could probably use finer granularity, but choosing at random within the current or nearest timezone could give reasonable results.

Could be a problem for some that have gateways in other parts of the country. I live and work out west but our Internet gateway is in the East. For the majority it would be better. Of course, sometimes it is better and quicker to deal outside your timezone.

--
Robin Laing