Re: Security....

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

<<-- snip -->>

I love it.

I took a simpler approach.

1. Setup iptables with the following
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT # this allows local loop interface to always work.
iptables -A INPUT -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT # accept connections back to this host for connections attempted from this host
iptables -A INPUT -j REJECT # this rejects everything else

2. I just add
iptables -I INPUT 3 -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport yyy -j ACCEPT
for each port I want to open up on my server.

Note:   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gets replaced with the local machine's IP address.
           yyy gets replaced with the port number

You can also restrict the source IP address for the packet by including a -s zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz to the iptables command.

Most clients, #1 above is enough to block all attacks.

James Kosin