Re: Security....

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 11:09, Andrey Andreev wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:

> > Brute force login attempts against ssh can work if given enough time
>
> How about setting portsentry to block IPs (temporarily) after 10 or so
> attempts? Can it do that (I kind of think so)?

So you slow down the brute force attack.  If you block it permanently
you set your self up to a DOS attack, just hit the system multiple times
using spoofed addresses until you have blocked a significant range of
addresses, or at least critical ones (such as DNS servers).

Given enough time brute force attempts will work.  Period.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

While you're chewing, think of STEVEN SPIELBERG'S bank account ...  his
will have the same effect as two "STARCH BLOCKERS"!