Re: How are fedora kernels modified from vanilla kernels

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Di, den 26.10.2004 schrieb Javier Perez um 12:07:

If i figure it right, it means that the src.rpm gives me the patches AND the plain vanilla kernel. So If I want to recompile I still have to apply the patches to bring the version of my kernel up to whatever point number is being used, 2.6.8.1-521, for example. That is before I do the menuconfig thing.

Am I right?

Not really, the patching is done by using the .spec file. I suggest you
have a very close look at this online viewable .spec file:

http://download.atrpms.net/production/sources/fedora-2-i386/atrpms/kernel-2.6.spec

You don't run menuconfig when using the kernel SRC.RPM. At least not in
the straight way like you would when using the plain kernel source tree
(patched or unpatched). This is because the SRC.RPM comes with prepared
.config file for the different architectures and changes have to be
applied to them. Else the rpmbuild will fail.

Javier

Alexander

This sounds like a real step backwards in the usability of
Fedora for those of us who don't do kernel development
but just need to gen a custom kernel due to a required
change to the .config.  (In my case to get SCSI multi
lun support so that my multi-type flash card reader
can read on all three ports.)

Is there a HOW-TO for non-kernel developers on how to
build a custom kernel?  Requirements are:
-- use the configuration of the running kernel
-- run menu-config or whatever to make a change
-- make a new kernel as whatever-custom
-- install the new kernel for grub booting as an alternate kernel

John DeDourek