Re: Any suggestion for good linux books?

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:38:19 -0400, Clint Harshaw <clint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

ashwin kesavan iyengar wrote:
Hi,
     I have been with linux ( initially with redhat 9, now with
Fedora-core 2). I hav fair amount of computer background.(Since my
Bachelor degree was in Computer Science engineering). Can somebody
suggest good linux books for me. I have tried some but of no success.
Either they r too basic or too complex. I now the general concept of
OS, Networks, etc. I hav not formally had any leasons in unix or
linux. Little knowledge that i gained was through HOWTOs, info. Now i
wish to become an EXPERT in linux. I am not inclined to do
courses(certifications), want to do my own study. Your suggestions
would b great.
 Thank you,
 with regards,
ashwin

I actually found most books quickly out of date or as you say too simple. I
was fortunate in sharing an office with a previous system admin who was a dry
well of linux information. He rarely ever told me how to solve something but
always pointed me in the right direction. Sometimes infuriating to begin with -
specially when he ordered me to open up vim every time we looked at a problem :)

In the end it was the best way to learn. Decide on something you want to do
(home networking, remote ppp activation, internet sharing, web-php-databasing),
do some googling to find out what you need - this doesn't always work at which
point its worth asking someone for some pointers (e.g. the list) to the programs you might
need to use and then google some more. The info on the net is guaranteed to be up
to date which is invaluable, and the cool thing about linux'ing is that so many
people are willing to re-contribute back to the community information they've
gleaned in their experiences.

Over a period of about two years you gradually become very efficient in solving problems
and rarely need any guidance at all. The biggest hurdle is in accumulating enough
knowledge to understand what you find on the net initially :)

Learning some basics in programming in linux is also helpful if you haven't already.
e.g. using shared/static libraries, compilation issues. makefiles etc.

Cheers,
Daniel Stonier.

-- email:snorri_dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://members.optusnet.com.au/stonierd/