Re: Rereading .bash_profile

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Paul Howarth wrote:

Robert wrote:

...except that constantly logging out and in while testing is a royal PITA.

What is the proper way cause .bash_profile to be re-examined?

. ~/.bash_profile

are you *really* sure you want to re-source your .bash_profile?  i ask
since it's possible that there are things in that file that really
shouldn't be rerun.

a classic example is to append some entries to your search path:

  PATH=$PATH:blah:woof:.....

rerunning .bash_profile means that those entries will be appended
*again*.  not fatal, of course, but i think too many people very
cavalierly re-source that file without making sure there are no
adverse consequences.

rday

Thanks to Paul for answering, to HaJo for reminding me I asked when I should have been searching and to you, Robert, for adding the warning.

I tried it one time in a row, it did what I wanted and the only bad effect I've seen so far is that /home/rj/bin is in the path twice.
It's not hard to understand that the system would soon grow weary of
". /.bash_profile" in a free-running loop!
--
Current Time is Mon Oct 25 09:07:35 CDT 2004
Kerry Bury begins in 687145 seconds...