Re: Mistake installing programs? -Beginner-

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:59:49 -0500, "Bradley (FC2 List)"
<FedoraList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I think I may have made a mistake installing some programs.
>Not knowing that some programs were available and should be installed from
>Add/Remove Applications, I installed some programs with targz files. I put
>them in a folder, home/user/downloads/ and installed from there.
>  Does this mean that they are running from there and are in the wrong
>place, or do they install themselves in the proper directories?
>I am trying to install development tools so I can have gdesklets but can't
>do that now because some apps are missing even though yum says they are
>installed. The programs that  Add/Remove Appilcations can't find are
>cyrus-sasl, libuser, and xorg-x11-libs.
>
>Also, I keep getting errors to adjust my PKG_CONFIG_PATH but can't seem to
>find it. Can someone tell me where to look? I'm not really sure what it is.

Typically, a tar.gz download extracts into a directory from which you do a
"make" followed by a "make install".  The latter puts the programs into the
"right" locations like /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin, etc.
Afterwards, you can remove the extracted directory. I then put the .tar.gz
files into a "installs" directory.

For the others, try opening a terminal windows, su'ing to root, and using

  up2date cyrus-sasl

--
  Steve