Re: xorg.conf vedio card question........

Hi there:

Thanks for your reply. Please see below for my reply.

The reason for this post is that I am trying to figure out why my dual head
is not working. I have started another thread to describe the problems I
have encountered. But I would still like to know more about xorg.conf stuff.

>> i am running FC2 on a toshiba laptop that has a Trident CyberBlade Ai1.
>> the question is that, when i installed FC2, the Menu->System
>> Settings->Display shows that i have "Trident CyberBlade (generic)". i
>> then went into change it as "Trident CyberBlade Ai1" then log out. when
>> i log back in, the Display->video card still shows up as "Trident
>> CyberBlade (generic)" not Ai1.
>>
>> i then went to look at the xorg.conf. i have
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>     Identifier  "Videocard0"
>>     Driver      "trident"
>>     VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>>     BoardName   "Trident CyberBlade/Ai1"
>>
>> what does this mean? does it mean i am using Ail already, just the
>> "Display" not updating, or i don't have the Ai1 driver, so it still uses
>> the generic option?
>
>It means that videocard0 is using the "trident" driver.  VendorName and
>BoardName are little more than comments for you to describe your actual
>hardware and make sure that the you (or system-config-X11) configure the
>screen stuff correctly for this hardware.  Does your first
>"ServerLayout" section reference the correct Screen section, which then
>references this device by name?  If so, then you've correctly configured
>your videocard.
I am still pretty new to this, from what I can tell, I think its correct.
Below is what I have

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "single head configuration"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection
.
.
.
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "Toshiba TOS5082"
    DisplaySize  240    180
    HorizSync    31.0 - 48.0
    VertRefresh  50.0 - 70.0
    Option        "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "trident"
    VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName   "Trident CyberBlade (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Videocard0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     16
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
        Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     8
        Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     16
        Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

>I don't know, I haven't read the trident documentation, but are you sure
>that "CyberBlade(generic)" and "CyberBlase Ail" are different drivers or
>just different names for the same driver that differentiates between the
>two boards when the server starts up?
Could you tell me where I can find the documentation?

Many thanks

CHUN