Getting started with apt (was: mozilla)

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 09:37, Gu, John A. (US SSA) wrote:
> Alex,
>
> 1. I never used yum/apt/etc to get xemacs and I don't know how to.
> 2. The URL is: http://www.xemacs.org. And I take the stable version
> 21.4.15.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Perhaps I can help you with No. 1 above.

Point your browser to http://apt.freshrpms.net.

Download the rpm for whichever version of Fedora you're using--they have
separate packages for FC1 and 2.

As root, execute "chmod 777 " followed by the name of the package.

Still as root, execute "rpm -i " followed by the name of the package.

Execute "apt-get update" to get the list of packages from the
repository. (This is called "the package meta-data."

Then execute "apt-get install synaptic".

That will at least get you started. But if you really want every
repository you need, hit this link:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2198

(And if you don't care to install things with a GUI interface, that link
contains a good primer on the apt commands.)

If I were installing a new system today, I would take these steps to get
apt and synaptic on that system before I did anything else.

You *will* have to edit some source files on your system. Find these in
/etc/apt. (You need root privileges to edit these.)

(Which brings up another pet peeve of mine: I *never* rely on mirror or
repo lists that are on an Internet site. I finally fixed up2date by
downloading my own copies of the mirror lists and deleting the primary
site ("download.redhat.com" and so forth) and at least two mirrors that
I know are broken (the "rpmfind" host, and the host "eas.muohio.edu"). I
set my mirror-of-choice to host "dulug.duke.edu" and left the other
mirrors in place. I haven't had a lick of trouble with up2date since.)

Above all, Linux is about taking direct control of your system. That's
why everything having to do with system configuration is in a text file
that you can edit with very simple editors. (And also why system
security is more important than ever.)

Temlakos

PS: Do not--I repeat, do not--get into the habit of "logging in as root"
whenever you have to make an administrative change. People have a bad
habit of "working as root" all the time. Instead, execute the command
"su" from a terminal window, navigate to the directory containing the
files you wish to edit, and then edit them with either "gedit" or, if
you feel adventurous, "vi" or "emacs." I tend to spend as little time as
possible doing things with the root identity.

PPS: Does anyone know how to restrict the "su" command to a
non-universal user group, like "wheel," the way Gentoo does? It ought to
be a simple change, but I'm not as familiar as I should be with how to
restrict certain commands to certain groups.