Re: More SSH 'trolling'

David L Norris wrote:

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 13:07 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:

In /etc/sshd/sshd_config you want to have the following lines:

PermitRootLogin no

AllowUsers selectusernames

You can also create a 'remote' group, add only those users who need remote access and then add this to sshd_config: AllowGroups remote

That way you can specify who can login remotely via SSH with any of the
user management tools.  I think it would be nice if this was the
default.  FirstBoot could add the first normal user to the remote group
automatically, for example.

I create an sshusers group for that:
groupadd -g 101 sshusers

And I like your idea of it being an installation or firstboot configured default. When adding a non-root user in firstboot there could be a checkbox for allowing them ssh access which added them to the sshusers group.

Allowing only protocol 2, and not permitting root login, should also be default settings.

Chris

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021