Re: Image a diskette?

Francis Stevens wrote:

Bob Hartung wrote:

Hi all,
How do I go about creating an image of a floppy diskette that I can use to clone the diskette and use as storage for archival purposes? All I need is the command and then I'll read the relevant parts.

Thanks,

Bob

I use:-

    dd if=/dev/fd0 of=./copyofafloppydisk

to create a file which is a copy of the floppy disk and

    dd if=./copyofafloppydisk of=/dev/fd0

to create the new floppy.

I like to name the copy ending in .img just to help me keep straight what kind of file it is.

Note also that you can edit the contents directly within the image file by mounting it like so:
mkdir /mnt/foo
mount -o loop copyofafloppydisk /mnt/foo
# edit things under /mnt/foo as you wish
umount /mnt/foo

Ahh, the power of Linux!

Chris

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021