Re: Dumping to another servers tape drive

Bob Chiodini wrote:
On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 11:49, Douglas Phillipson wrote:

Wayne Leutwyler wrote:

On Oct 4, 2004, at 6:04 PM, Douglas Phillipson wrote:

I run:

/sbin/dump -0uf - /dev/sda9 | ssh rsldata 'dd of=/dev/nst0'

It seems to go to the tape fine.  Then on rsldata I run:

/sbin/restore -if /dev/nst0

I get the error:

/sbin/restore: Tape block size (512) is not a multiple of dump block size (1024)

I've setup ssh so as to not require a password for sshing to rsldata.

I try to adjust block sizes in both "dd" and restore to no avail. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? This typically works fine on Unix (Solaris) but not Fedora.

Thanks

Doug P

Have you looked at Amanda? www.amanda.org

This might do what you are looking to do.

Thanks but I'm really just trying to get a dump of the machine prior to an upgrade. So I could still use some help with my question.

Thanks

Doug P

Doug,

Have you tried dd obs=1024 (or some multiple thereof).  Also, did you
rewind the tape before the restore (sorry :-)).

Bob...

Thanks for the help Bob. I actually just found that if I do:

export RSH='ssh'
/sbin/dump  -b 2 -0uf rsldata:/dev/nst0 /dev/sda9

Then on rsldata do:

restore -if /dev/nst0

It seems to work properly. I would have thought that restore would have picked up the block size automatically, but apparently not if you don't specify a block size with dump.

Thanks  to all that responded.

Regards

Doug P