Re: Writing to DVD+RW's

Filippos Klironomos wrote:

Is there a way to
mount a dvd+rw in writable mode so that I can mv and cp files to it from
bash? Do I have install a package and if so do you recommend any in
particular?

This pertains to a previous question I asked about UDF filesystem. Unfortunately it seems to be under development yet to use a CDRW or DVD/RW like that. Check out:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=173263

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-udf/

So the short answer is, it is doable but you have to patch your kernel
for it. I currently don't have the time to experiment but if you feel
like it you can go ahead and then post on the list to let everybody
know! :-)

Hey thanks for the help! I'm thinking about trying the patch but it does look like an involved process. I found and was able to install k3b which looks great however I ran into a problem: my dvd drive is listed as a reader not as a writer. The drive's name as described in k3b is HL-DT-ST-DVD+RW-GCA-4040N. Is it safe to assume that without the patching you suggested k3b won't recognize my dvd+rw drive as anything more than a dvd-rom device?

P.S. installing k3b rpm's with yum requires some work... updating the yum.conf with a new download location:

[xcyb-stable]
name=Fedora Core 2 ( xcyborg / stable )
baseurl=http://rpms.xcyb.org/fedora/2/stable/

And installing two rpms yum can't find manually:

id3lib-3.8.3-5.fr.i386.rpm
libmad-0.15.1b-3.1.fc2.dag.i386.rpm

Then just run "yum k3b" and away you go.