Re: Samba - Sharing files with XP and missing files

YigalB wrote:

When package is installed run '/sbin/chkconfig swat on' and point your
browser to http://localhost:901
Pavel.

[<Yigal>] I made a progress - installed samba and now Samba is working. After
pressing the "status" button I saw that smbd, nmbd& winbindd were not
working - so I started them all and now I can see from the XP side a
"localhost" - but I cant browse inside: I get "it is not accessible - I
need rights from the Linux administrator".

Make sure samba ports (its 137-139 and 445) are not blocked by firewall. Also you need to create samba accounts for your users and set passwords. The easiest way is to make samba passwords identical to linux passwords, but I don't know how good is it from a security viewpoint.

When I go to Samba, pressing the "share" button, I see there is "create
share" and choose "share" but nothing changes - and I see no directories
to select to share.
How do I progress from here?

I think home directories are shared by default, you can access them as \\yourlinuxbox\username.
If you want to share additional directories, just enter name of the new share and press "create share". Then you will be able to choose directory and set other options.

Pavel.