Re: NTP syncing

--On Wednesday, September 22, 2004 11:04 AM -0600 "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

By the way, all my DHCP servers provide a pointer to my NTP servers. How
do I get clients (Fedora Linux and Windows) to use this pointer? Anyone
have any idea? Can't find docs to tell me.

I don't think Windows will use it. What we need is a Win32 client that will issue DHCPINFORM to get the setting and invoke "net time /setsntp" to stash it away, as well as starting the Windows Time service to use it.

For Linux, look at the ISC DHCP client. It has a script that gets all options and rewrites various config files. I believe the RH-provided one clobbers your ntp.conf if that setting is provided and an interface-specific setting doesn't disable the overwrite. Just checked... the package is dhclient (a subpackage of the ISC dhcp SRPM) and the script is /bin/dhclient-script. Browse that to see how it works.