Re: NTP syncing

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 19:21, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:34:23PM -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>> --On Tuesday, September 21, 2004 11:17 AM -0400 Gene Heskett
>>
>> >Verizon hasn't volunteered that they have one or more such
>> > servers. For me, that would be very nice.
>>
>> According to <http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5825> Verizon has
>> monitored support newsgroups. There's also some Verizon forums at
>> <http://www.dslreports.com/forums/47>.
>>
>> Try running ntptrace to your Verizon-supplied DNS servers and to
>> your gateway. One of them may have decent time.
>
>Another discovery trick is to use traceroute and use
>ntptrace to inspect your nearby routers.  Most big name
>routers supply ntp if so configured.
>
>Example traceroute redhat.com, or smtp.yourisp.com
>then I run a quick test of 1,2,3,4
>
>     for i in  ..... list from traceroute ....
>     do
>     echo ======================
>     ntptrace $i
>     done
>
>Always ASK your ISP for the service. If they never
>hear the demand they cannot provide the service.

There was no response from any machine all the way to the secondary
dns.  Starting locally on the primary traceroute list, I finally hit
one on the 17th hop but its a:
stratum 16, offset 0.062642, root distance 0.006480

Which brings up 2 questions Tom,

1. WTF is it 18 hops to my primary dns?
2. One would think that in 17 other machines, there would be a
timeserver.  Obviously these twerps aren't running a thing we don't
scream for.

Actually, there's a 3rd question: WTF if the secondary dns doing when
it attempts to contact my firewall box on a high port, 32,711 or such
as I posted last night?  I sent a nastygram to both postmaster and
abuse at the secondary dns's name, specifically requesting a reply,
but in 18 hours none has been forthcoming.  Should I just keep
beating on them till they get tired of me and disconnect me, or what?

OT: I like your sig Tom, weak apologies notwithstanding, Danny boy
done stepped in it, and he is going to have a disagreeable odor about
him for a long long time.  Serves him right IMO, news should be
first, truthfull, and second, totally issue neutral.  Report the
facts if they can be proven to be facts, and leave the friggin
editorial views on the other side of the news hour.  Unforch, CBS
hasn't done that in 25 years.  Apparently there is no lifeguard at
the gene pool anymore.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)