Re: Widescreens and Fedora

Markus Huber wrote:

Am Mit, den 22.09.2004 schrieb Bob Chiodini um 18:52:

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 11:32, Peter McDermott wrote:

I just installed Fedora 2 on my Compaq V2000 and am have trouble getting the right resolution set. The LCD is 14 inches with a wide aspect ratio. The native resolution is 1280x768. Can anyone help me or just point me in the right direction (I'm kind of new to linux)? Thanks!

P.S. I posted this message when I first signed up to the mailing list but I don't think it was sent. If it did and this is a duplicate... sorry. :-(

Try hardcoding the resolution you desire in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  The
section you want is near the end of the file.  There may be more than
one resolution specified, add "1280x768" at the beginning of the list of
modes.  The HorizSync and VertRefresh values in the monitor section must
be appropriate for you display. Good luck.

Bob...

To get your modeline you can use this site: http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines

But I am sure there is an onboard possibility with Fedora to get your
modeline (I did it on my laptop but unfortunatelly I don't have it
here).

You just have to add to xorg.conf:
modeline "YOUR MODELINE"

It works great with nv as driver, with nvidia-drivers you have to add
another line that they use your modeline (and that as well I do not know
by heart).

Hopefully somebody can help out to fill in my skeleton infos.

Have fun, my hp7000 widescreen works great with FC2.

Markus

Hey guys thanks for the help! I called HP support after coming up empty with online searchs. After an hour and a half and three technicians telling me they didn't support Linux and I'd invalidated my software warranty etc. they said the VertRefresh should be 60 and the HorizSync should be 63.925 for 1280x768 .

I also went to the link Markus provided and filled out the form getting the following:

Max Bandwidth: *350* Mhz
Max Vertical Frequency: *60* Hz
Max Horizontal Frequency: *63.925* Khz
Minimun Refresh Rate: *60* Hz Min Bandwidth: *20* Mhz ( anything more and I got a RESOLUTION TOO HIGH error )
Min Horizontal Frequency: *30* Khz

ModeLine "name" dotclock width x x x heigth y y y #RefreshRate

ModeLine "1280x768" 83.77 1280 1336 1616 1728 768 770 782 808 #60Hz

So I'm ready to give this a try but I'm a little concerned that I might damage something... this may be a dumb question but the wrong settings can't damage the LCD, can they?

Thanks again for your help guys!