Re: sendmail .forward file

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 09:22:34PM -0500, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> I have a small problem that I hope someone had a fix.
>
> I am running sendmail and dovecot on the Fedora 2 which seems to be
> running good. I have also verified that the
>
> FEATURE(redirect)  in sendmail.mc
>
> is uncommented but still I cannot seem to make a .forward file work from
> my users directories.
>
> Did I miss something in the configuration?

It is unclear what you are attempting but for most 'interesting'
things you want to use .procmailrc and not a .forward file.

See the man pages for:
   procmailex           (5)  - procmail rcfile examples
   procmailrc           (5)  - procmail rcfile

Test a simple .procmailrc file from the examples
using a test user.

The reason for procmail is that sendmail knows about it, thus:
   # grep procmail *mc
   sendmail.mc:define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
   sendmail.mc:FEATURE(local_procmail,`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
   sendmail.mc:MAILER(procmail)dnl
   # pwd
   /etc/mail

For both .forward and .procmailrc files permissions matter.
At a command line what does this return:

  ls -ld $HOME $HOME/.procmailrc $HOME/.forward

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Me, I would "Rather" Not.