Re: A contributor is not allowed to use Fedora legally?

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 09:40:04PM +0330, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> I was wondering if I can do anything about not being able to use Fedora
> Core legally.

Get an import license .... for your one or two copies.

> name "FarsiWeb", Pango, etc), I need to "warrant that I am not located
> in Iran":
> I would appreciate any kind of comment or recommendations, on-list or
> off-list. This has somehow created a mental problem for me...

The collection of software that is Fedora contains strong
encryption software in many places including the web browser.

Just as one closed source module  can 'taint' the kernel
one restricted technology will 'taint' the collection
that is Fedora and limit the distribution.

Distribution of strong encryption technology (and I suspect other
technology in Fedora too) by any US company, person, or other legal
entity to a list of nations including Iran is restricted by US law.

There is more involved here than GPL and copyright.

  http://www.bxa.doc.gov/encryption/regs.htm
  http://www.bxa.doc.gov/policiesandregulations/regionalconsiderations.htm
  http://www.bxa.doc.gov/policiesandregulations/RegionalConsiderations/Iran.pdf
  and more...

As others pointed out GPL mandates that source follow distribution but
does not mandate distribution.

Work on unrestricted distributions for now.

Pray for sanity in the world.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l