Re: [OT] - New virus?

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 20:38, Jeff Vian wrote:

> I was wondering if the complainer expects us all to wear blinders and be
> totally oblivious to what is going on in any forum except Linux.
>
> For my case I have to support both systems (I would be out of work if I
> did not).  It is nice to see hints of changes/threats as long as it does
> not get out of hand and take over the focus of the list.

    I've been there; at a point of high stress in 2001 I decided to
never work on Windows again.  So, now I'm a security guard.  I can't
TELL you how much better my life is.

    That doesn't mean, for example, that I'm not going to start a Linux
conversion company (which I am) but that, rather than to burn out and/or
go postal after 20+ years of working for Bill, I'll just work on only
'sane' systems.

    I have little sympathy for people voluntarily stuck in Windows; "if
your job is to shovel pig manure, don't complain about the smell."
Sure, it's a big difference in pay, but it's a bigger difference in
sanity. VMware has now removed the last of the excuses, and it does many
things for Windows, that Windows can't do.

    One thing I've learned in all this: all computers screw up. All of
them.  And all computers can have software bugs.  But life is so much
more easy when you're not fighting a mega-corporation who actually makes
their money from the problems they send you.  I'd do it again in a
heartbeat.

    Nope, not a curmudgeon, not a heartless yahoo that's mad at the
world...just a guy spoiled by the easy life, after doing it the hard way
for decades, tired of hearing how life is so hard because of some new
virus...every day. Developers of Linux are righteous; they know what's
right and they do it. They could care less about tweaking the thing so
that only they can answer a problem for money...and that's what makes
Linux not a replacement for Windows, but for an eventual replacement to
all operating systems.

    What a sweet world it's gonna be when there's only _one_ OS to
learn, and everyone's finally sharing all the world's development for
the benefit of all. Donald Fagan: "Just, machines to make big
decisions.  Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision..." --New
Frontier

    This isn't aimed at anyone, maybe it's just a rant because I've
heard this so many times. I'm just sharing a point of view to which we
can all aspire.

Brian FahrlÃnder                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller