Re: Concept: Shop floor terminal to read CAD drawings

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 11:41 am, Michael Jezierski - Systec Conveyors
wrote:
> Our engineers here use AutoCAD to produce drawings. We are contemplating
> using a system on the shop floor to allow the workers there to look up
> drawings with a CAD file viewer.
> I know about WINE but wondered if anyone has come up with a CAD viewer
> native to Linux?

Mike:
There's a not-very-active mailing list devoted to CAD on Linux at
cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Someone there probably has at least one answer to
your question. Would it be OK if I forwarded your question there, asking them
to respond directly to you?

I suspect that the major hassle will be that your drawings are probably stored
in AutoCad's propietary .dwg format, while most third party viewers require
that they be in .dxf format. While it would be no big deal to maintain a
dual-format database for a small project, doing the same in a manufacturing
company with 10's of thousands of parts would not be my idea of a trivial
task.
-- cmg