Re: Microsoft and USB.

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 04:26:54PM +0200, T. Ribbrock wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:57:24AM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> [...]
>
> > I had a USB stick that would not work in Linux and found out that it
> > needed to be re-partitioned and formatted under Linux to work.  This
> > was from the manufacturers own documentation.
>
> This has happened to me with most USB sticks I came across. In all
> cases, the partition table was screwed up (overlapping partitions).
> 'doze doesn't seem to case but Linux refuses to mount it.

Overlapping tables is of itself not wrong.
Confusing and lame to be sure.

However if one partition has a correct filesystem that
fits in that same partition it should mount.
Other partitions that overlap or are a subset should not...

In some cases there is a partition table then in
one partition there is another partition table that
further subdivides that resource.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Me, I would "Rather" Not.