Re: [OT] - New virus?

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:08:58 -0400, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 16:59, Si Jones wrote:
> Actually, I fully expected to get at least one of these, from the list.
> And here's my stock answer.  Yes, I am well aware it's a linux list.
> I'm also well aware that _some_ people don't give a rat's hiney what
> happens in the Windows world.  HOWEVER, there are a lot (and I'm one of
> them) network and system administrators who use linux at work (ditto) as
> well as maintain a network of tens if not hundreds of Windows boxes.
> This is kind of like saying, I'm left handed and if I get gangrene in my
> right hand who cares?  It's not my left and I only use my left.
>
> And if you don't really care what happens in the Windows world and don't
> have anything useful to add to my question, then don't reply to it.
>
> Now, if someone else would like to add something, I'd be grateful (and
> the ISC reply was a good start, thanks for that.), and if not, well, I
> thought I'd ask.

The post was off-topic (as you even noted in the subject line). There
are *many* other forums for security discussions (ISC as you
mentioned, the Incidents mailing list, etc.) and the least amount of
effort would have found them. Lots of people on this list are
interested in the US presidential election or possibly even the recent
release of Doom 3 but that does not mean that this is the place to
discuss it.

Personally, I was very interested in the post itself (as network
security is my day job) but the post still should have been done in
the appropriate forum. This forum is "for users of Fedora Core
releases. If you want help with a problem installing or using Fedora
Core, this is the list for you." (from the Fedora website). Windows
security issues just aren't relevant.

We now return to our regularly scheduled GNOME-vs-KDE religious wars... :)

--
Kyle Maxwell
[krmaxwell@xxxxxxxxx]