Re: A contributor is not allowed to use Fedora legally?

Sam Tregar wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Michael Jezierski - Systec Conveyors wrote:

Does Iran recognize US copyright law?  If not I think you can probably
do whatever you want with Fedora and still be on the right side of the
only law that presently applies to you!

Red Hat is a US based company though. Knowingly sending software to a nation
under a trade sanction is illegal, not for our Iranian colleague but for Red
Hat. Just like trying to find an American car in Cuba made after 1959.

That may be true, but it has nothing to do with the legality of using the software in Iran. Obviously that issue is covered by Iranian law, not US law!

-sam

My point is - it's not illegal for OP to *use* the software. It's illegal for Red Hat to distribute it to nations which the USA has a trade embargo against. How can OP *use* the software if it's illegal under USA law for it to be distributed to him, since it is technically an work of USA origins? There's the billion Zloty question.

--
Mike Jezierski - IT Engineer
Systec Conveyors - Indianapolis, IN

-=-=-
Drunk driver’s alibi: “I didn’t know I was loaded!”