Re: A contributor is not allowed to use Fedora legally?

Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

I was wondering if I can do anything about not being able to use Fedora
Core legally. To use software that is partly my own (I am a copyright
co-holder for Mozilla, FriBidi, GNOME translations (sometimes under the
name "FarsiWeb", Pango, etc), I need to "warrant that I am not located
in Iran":

http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/2.91/x86_64/os/eula.txt

But the problem is that I live there, and have been living there while
working on all those pieces of software

Is Fedora allowed to do that, even when I have copylefted parts of the
software under GPL and LGPL? Won't that be adding more restrictions, and
against the explicit text in the licenses that says "You may not impose
any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights
granted herein"? Also, isn't the same EULA claim that the whole
collective work is under GPL? If yes, how can it add those restrictions?

I would appreciate any kind of comment or recommendations, on-list or
off-list. This has somehow created a mental problem for me...

Roozbeh Pournader

I just talked to President Bush, and he said that if you dismantle your nuclear reactor and stop disrupting democracy in Iraq, that he will let you use Fedora Core without restriction.

Seriously, this export restriction only applies to Red Hat. The U.S. law does not apply to you, unless Iran recongizes U.S. export restrictions and applies the restriction to you, which I highly doubt. If you download Fedora Core from a mirror outside the U.S., you avoid any potential conflicts.

I believe only Red Hat can be held accountable, especially if the U.S. government finds out that Fedora Core's name is a code word for Nuclear Core, in which Fedora Core runs your new reactor. Just kidding.

Isn't it a shame that the world cannot just put down the guns, theology, ideology, politics and just write code. It would be a better place.

Pasha has just pointed out that EULA might state that you cannot use Fedora Core if your on the export list, if the EULA says that, then according to Red Hat, you are an illegal user in their eyes.

Byte