Re: A contributor is not allowed to use Fedora legally?

Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

I was wondering if I can do anything about not being able to use Fedora
Core legally. To use software that is partly my own (I am a copyright
co-holder for Mozilla, FriBidi, GNOME translations (sometimes under the
name "FarsiWeb", Pango, etc), I need to "warrant that I am not located
in Iran":

Odd isn't it. Something you created, you cannot use because of longstanding feud between your country and the US.

http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/2.91/x86_64/os/eula.txt

But the problem is that I live there, and have been living there while
working on all those pieces of software

However the trade sanctions between the USA (where this agreement was created) and the named countries (Iraq, Iran, Cuba, etc.) is quite clear. At first I thought this was the standard "128 bit encryption" that the US Government doesn't want in "unfriendly" hands. But the wording tells me that this applies to the whole software. As long as Fedora as a whole is a product of USA origins, then I'm afraid that you won't be able to "legally" use the software. Then again I think most computer software of USA based companies falls into that prohibition, including Micro$not.

I would appreciate any kind of comment or recommendations, on-list or
off-list. This has somehow created a mental problem for me...

Roozbeh Pournader

Ooo. Ick. [Standard disclaimer: IANAL] Yes Red Hat is pretty much REQUIRED to restrict distribution of this software to the nations on the list. There is a clause that with a proper permit and government clearances and a guarantee that this software won't be used to make or control WMD's ... that could be your only legal option.

--
Mike Jezierski - IT Engineer
Systec Conveyors - Indianapolis, IN

-=-=-