Re: Tripwire config ???

> On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 09:43, jpitts@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > 1.   File system error.
> >      Filename: /etc/tripwire/kangol.homelinux.net-local.key
> >      No such file or directory
> > 2.   File system error.
> >      Filename: /root/.Xauthority
> >      No such file or directory
> >
> > Both of these files exist ... why doesn't tripwire see them ???
>
> Check permissions on the key file.  I assume you run tripwire as root?
>
> .Xauthority may not be there if root is not logged in.  I had to play
> some games with my tripwire configs.  Seems that /root had a number of
> .xauthxxxxxx files that change each time you su to root.  Never really
> found a really good solution for that.

The notion of a Tripwire alert for the presence of /root/.Xauthority
is pretty useful to me.  As stated, this file is present while root is
logged in.  For that matter, if one logs in with a user account and
then does a "su" then the file will be there.

Ordinarily, I don't wish to remian logged in as root.  When the
scheduled Triipwire reports are run unattended via cron,  it would be
helpful to know if this file is there.  If it is, it means either I
inadvertantly left root (su) logged in or someone else (a bad thing!)
is there.

Leaving Triipwire flag this file gives me a little extra comfort level.